Thursday, July 17, 2014

Susan and Hiwan Ranch

I can imagine working for one company for a long time. I have.  25 years for Stauffer's of Kissel Hill and 17 for the United Methodist Church in my appointment at Hope Church UMC, Douglassville, PA (two more at half time at Lititz UMC, Lititz, PA). But today many people just can't.  We have been a job jumping country for several decades now as we are able to more easily carry our credibility and our marketability with us from place to place.

Today, however, I met a woman who has worked for one employer for 26 years and says she loves her job as much as ever. Susan is a tour guide and tour director for the once largest cattle ranch in Colorado, Hiwan.  Now called Hiwan Homestead Museum, the 11,000 acres has shrunk down to 6, but the main 29 room house and some of the beautiful outbuildings remain in a very pretty setting.

I won't write down all the wonderful things you can learn about the two families who have lived on this site since 1865, but I will tell you that Susan, who walked me around the main house today, MADE my day.
You see, she loves her job because she loves not only the place she works but the opportunity to meet new people who care about its history. And, while none were part of my tour today, the children she gets to teach about life in the foothills of the Rockies 150 years ago, and since are an especial joy for her to serve.

She told me how she and others on the staff, paid or not, dress in period costumes and give the kids a chance to participate in the history of that moment.  The stories must especially come alive in the first floor bedroom that has been turned into an authentic 1870's classroom.  "Who is President of the United States boys and girls?" "Uh... Obama?"  "Why of course not. Its Ulysses S Grant. Now take out your MacGuffey Readers and slates and lets practice some spelling."


Mona and I have visited many historic homes and museums over the years, but only a few provide the memories we remember best.  And they are always the ones where the guides loved their work and their charges.  I think of Plymouth Plantation, Mass. where our then 10 year old son, wearing a Mickey Mouse T shirt caused a running conversation with one guide who could not understand why he had a picture of a 'rat' on his clothing if he was not in fact a rat-catcher.  A woman in a house kitchen in St. Augustine, FLA who helped Jim and Jenn to understand Spanish cooking in the Florida 1600's 'Old East'.


 You know, I think I've figured out something about tour guides in historic settings.  The ones we remember are often the ones who love their site, their customers, and maybe most especially, their customers kids.  I believe Susan sure does.

I think she will be one of those guides who, 30 years from now, some 40 year old writing their own blog, if such mediums still exist, will write about as I am writing today.


 Hiwan is not as prestigious, perhaps, as Plymouth, St. Augustine, or Williamsburg, VA.  But I will remember it because I got to meet Susan, and she got to teach me about Hiwan and why she loves it so much.


Learn more about Hiwan Homestead Museum for your own memorable visit at:

http://www.frontrangeliving.com/architecture/Hiwanhomestead.htm


-Ken







No comments:

Post a Comment