Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas Eve in ALVA

Christmas Eve in Alva, Florida, AND Alva United Methodist Church leads her community in celebrating the birth of Christ. And for newbies to the south at Christmastime like us, we can’t get over the climate.

The temperature is in the mid eighties, and a bit unseasonably humid today. The Ibis’s, after feeding on all the ground bugs they care to eat perch high in the trees to get a cool breeze.



But the Alva UMC Drive By Live Nativity rocks on!
 







Today Mona played Mary in the stable with me. We had new angels also. Amy and her son Riley and her 1 1/2 year old daughter Hannah- the cow.  I called her Chick-fil-a.



But they got back at me when they caught me goofing between cars.  Mona says I’m a ringer for Marty Feldman as Igor (not Egor) in Young Frankenstein.

The Nativity ran from 1 until 3pm and we had over 30 cars go through. Over 60 went through on Saturday from 5-8 pm.








Then we went home to shower, rest, and prepare for the Christmas Eve service at 7 pm.  Pastor Ralph came over to let me review the part in the service he asked me to take. And Mona and I looked over our book map, reminiscing of the places we have been, and reviewing the places we may go.











Pastor Ralph told us over 125 persons came to Alva UMC tonight. But the church only seats 100, and I stopped counting people in folding chairs, steps and laps at 50.

What a blessing to be with these wonderful people, and especially to be allowed to serve at Christmas time once again. Ralph had me read the Scriptures for each section of the service.

How many other churches will we worship in, assist in, as God brings us together?




Seems like He’s our primary navigator on this journey. Seems like that’s the way it should always be.


-Ken

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see that you are both enjoying retirement & still serving the Lord. A Happy & Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He said ms to have plansxwherever we go!

    ReplyDelete